HAVE YOU EVER LOST YOUR ENTHUSIASM??
Well…I did for a very long time.
The word ENTHUSIASM comes from the Greek word enthousiasmos, which consists of the root words “theos” (god) and “en”. (in). Thus enthusiasm literally means “God within.”Hmm.
I think we all agree that enthusiasm is a wonderful thing. They say that you should follow your enthusiasm in life. That makes sense.
Here are a few more quotes on enthusiasm:
- Enthusiasm creates miracles.
- Enthusiasm + Passion = Success.
- Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.
Ralph Waldo Emerson said:
‘Nothing in life was ever achieved without Enthusiasm.’
I totally believe in enthusiasm too.
I used to have enthusiasm and zest for my mixed media art business but I hit a major burnout last year and decided I couldn’t do it anymore.
I had my art business since 1999.
I owned a gallery/studio in the Smoky Mountains Arts Community, then for the past 3 years I traveled the country alone in my U-HAUL selling my art in various states.
I knew I had lost my enthusiasm for it 3 years ago but we had bills to pay and my business was usually pretty lucrative. Also no other real options appealed to me, so I hung on.
I knew I stayed WAY TOO LONG AT THE FAIR! — as that old song says.
I now know my loss of enthusiasm was a combination of many factors.
- Just plain ole burnout. I did the same thing too darn long.
- Too much panic and anxiety from traveling alone. I traveled in my U-HAUL to find art shows in foreign cities on a map. (I hate maps and had horrible luck with that damn MapQuest gal who too often said “LOST SIGNAL” right when I was about to find my destination. ARGHHH!!! NOOOO!!
I instinctively KNEW I had to let this art business go. I had no more zest left for it.
So, I retired..
Retired from the whole damn thing.
Have you ever hung on too long to something or someone that you instinctively knew you should let go of? Well, it’s not a fun feeling.
When I finally decided to stop it scared me so much.
Actually, it terrified me.
I was so confused. I didn’t understand exactly why I lost all of my enthusiasm — but I knew I had.
Also, it was a bit terrified thinking of what I would do NOW to help pay our many bills.
I was longing and praying for a new direction.
I knew I was a very hard worker — a super hard working dedicated artist — but I could no longer do my old art with gusto.
Well my muse led me to start down a new writing path last year ironically about the same time as my art business fizzled. (Funny how it happened almost simultaneously!)
I was compelled to write poetry so I published 3 poetry books, but after they were done I realized that I just didn’t have the zest or desire for ‘book marketing’. ICK!
Plus, book writing is not usually a lucrative thing (lol). I knew I wasn’t J.K. Rowling or Stephen King. I’m a realist.
I never wrote my books for money. I wrote them because I was compelled to express myself and share my stuff. Oh, I was also healed by the writing.
WAITING FOR AN ANSWER?
SO there I sat…
- writing away.
- typing away.
- thinking of new book ideas.
- blogging away — — knowing that I needed to find SOME way to bring income to our household now.
Every time I opened my art room though I had sick feeling of dread and immediately closed the door.
I used to spend 4 to 8 hours a day making art but now I had zero desire to even open the door to my art room.
I cussed at my art supplies
‘YOU Fuckers! !WHY DID YOU TURN ON ME!!’
and then I’d leave the room.
I was open to getting a J.O.B (although I had been my own boss for sooooo long I had no idea what I could do.
Plus I knew that I as a creative person that I was born to create and that I’d MUCH PREFER a ‘creative income generating source’!
Well, recently my boyfriend Bob gave me a wonderful new idea and guess what??
I Am ENTHUSED AGAIN!! Yipeeeee!!
Ok, I’ll tell you what it is!
I got this marvelous new business idea for a whole new art venture.
Making One of a Kind Art Shoes!!
This idea came to me only about a week ago and I have been immersed in learning about the process of making one of a kind shoes ever since.
‘I really am LOVING IT! It’s so exciting to me. I am finally enthused again!!
I’m so damn grateful that I got my groove back.
This business seems perfect for me for many reasons.
- I can do it from home.
- I can market it to specific people who are ‘collectors’ of special one of kind things.
- I can use many of my artistic skills.
- I can mail someone ONE pair of shoes in a box and not set up an entire art gallery outside in rain, sleet, wind and other elements which I used to do (and HATED!)
- I can please a lot of people with these fun one of a kind happy shoes.
- This idea resonates with my whole being and I love making them.
- Almost everyone I have shared the idea with also loves it.
- I can make these shoes in a variety of topics and themes which I totally LOVE! ( I love versatility).
- I don’t have to travel in a car alone to sell these.
- I can stay home in my robe and slippers with my 5 cats (which I LOVE !!)
They say that you should follow your enthusiasm so I am now following my new shoe making enthusiasm!
I even have my new website up and ready to go url. www.artisticshoes.com and will put up an etsy page soon. I am having a blast working on these shoes.
Here is a sample of what they will look like.
SOME SHOE STYLES I WILL BE MAKING
These are not my shoes but just will give you an idea of the themes I will be making.
SO I am thankful today that Enthusiasm has once again found me.
I’ll keep you all posted when I have all my shoe samples up…and HEY keep me in mind if you want me to make you a unique shoe.
NO SUBJECT is off limit. woohoo. I’m lovin this. (hehe)
I DO LOVE ENTHUSIASM!
So, hang in there if you are going through a lull in your life. Enthusiasm can sneak back into your life when you least expect it.
Patience helps too.
THANKS FOR READING!!